It’s no secret that location-based marketing is becoming more and more popular as we move into the future.
With technology like geofencing marketing, businesses can now target potential customers in very specific areas, which can lead to increased conversions and ROI.
However, many businesses are still unsure about how to use advanced targeting techniques as an effective marketing tool.
They may not understand all of the benefits that this technology offers, location-based services, or know-how to create a campaign targeting specific events that target customers.
Geofencing Marketing is here to help!
What is geofencing and what are its benefits for businesses
Geofence marketing is marketing directly to mobile users who shop in a retail store, browse your website, purchase a service or attend a specific event.
What is geofencing?
Geofencing markets are location-based targeting that is used for contacting mobile customers in a designated geographic area. The underlying technology uses GPS, wireless cellular radio-frequency identification, Bluetooth cellular, beacon technology, and satellite navigation.
- First, a virtual boundary is constructed around physical locations.
- The customer walks through or into a particular location.
- This will trigger marketing and advertising campaigns that you can send out via email to their phone as well as movements and behaviors in a highly targeted location.
4 Benefits of Geofence advertising
The geofencing marketing system is clearly a very effective tool but perhaps one of its biggest advantages will be online marketing.
How will you promote your product with geofencing marketing?
- Geofencing Marketing ads provide a more personal level of communication with customers, as they can target users specifically based on their location data and behavior.
- Geofencing is an extremely efficient way to reach your target audience, as it utilizes modern technology and allows for very precise audience targeting.
- Geofencing advertising can be used for a variety of marketing purposes, from sending out a targeted push notification; to building customer loyalty, more traffic, more leads, and providing valuable information.
- Geofencing marketing is a powerful tool for reaching customers in real-time with great accuracy.
How does geofence location-based marketing happen?
Geofencing Marketing may seem complex at first glance, but it can be quite a simple and welcome addition to your digital advertising stratagem.
Geofencing marketing is a type of advertising where the target audience’s physical location is taken into account when deciding which ads are shown to them via their mobile devices.
Geofencing relies on creating boundaries around brick-and-mortar locations that a company wants to reach, and those who enter or exit this geo-fenced location will receive a targeted geofencing campaign on their smartphones or other devices.
If you want people in your store, put up an audience-based geofence around your business and advertise accordingly.
Alternatively; it is not uncommon for geofencing marketing work to occur around competitor locations in an attempt to capture new customers.
Using geofencing to target foot traffic at your local shopping mall or retail store is an incredibly valuable asset in your digital marketing arsenal!
What are the main types of geofences?
Nowadays the location accuracy of most smartphones is highly targeted to within a few meters, making it possible to create very small geofences that only include a specific building or even a single room.
With the increasing applications of geofencing advertising, it’s imperative that retailers step up their marketing efforts by using a combination of the following to complement their digital marketing strategies.
Static Geofences are created by drawing a shape on a map and assigning it to a specific location to target prospects.
These geofences stay the same size and shape regardless of whether or not someone is inside or outside of them.
They are perfect for businesses that want to impart content targeting at their competitor’s locations, like a store or restaurant.
It can be used to send out push notifications and context targeting directly to mobile apps with coupons, or other marketing materials to people who are near the business.
Dynamic geofences are created by using GPS or RFID technology to constantly update the shape and size of the geofence in real time.
When a mobile device enters an area; and as people start moving around, the geofence will change shape and follow them.
Dynamic geofences can also be used to track customer movement around a store or other conversion zones.
Point Geofences are created by dropping a pin on a map wherever you want the geofence to be.
The shape can be anything from a simple square to complex boundaries drawn around an area.
Point geofences are useful when marketing ads to smartphone users, such as a concert or stadium event.
Circular Geofences are created by drawing a circle on a map and assigning it for when a user visits a specific location.
These geofences are perfect for businesses that want to target people who are near their location.
Circular Geofences can be used to send out marketing notifications or video content to people who are near their business.
Circular geofences are often used for ads targeting areas with high foot traffic.
What’s the easiest way to start Geofencing?
1. Choose an agency that specializes in geofencing.
2. Determine your campaign goals and objectives.
3. Create a target audience based on demographics and interests.
4. Establish the radius of your geofence.
5. Select the specific location(s) you want to target.
6. Upload creative assets and messaging for your campaign.
7. Launch your campaign and track results!
Geofencing Advertising on Facebook and Instagram
Facebook became a highly valuable platform for advertising for companies. Over a billion users on Facebook offer endless opportunities to attract new clients through paid ad campaigns.
For the best effect, you can create a simple Facebook ad using geo-fencing.
Afterward, browse the campaign’s audience area:
- The Audience section focuses on different variables that will help define a specific audience.
- Other factors include location. Within the location section, provide a precise address for your target audience.
Geofence advertising for Google Ads
You can install geo-filtering ads on Google Ads. Select the campaign then visit the campaign settings tab.
- The geo-targeting options available include Country, State, zip code, Radius DMA, City, Metro.
- You may install Google Ads geofencing on search results, displays on YouTube, etc.
- The more specific locations can be specified manually by entering locations on the map. Google displays an estimated number of geofenced users who meet other criteria.
One general rule is to target more specific audiences to maximize your ad spend.
Geofencing Advertising on Snapchat
You may also create targeted geofencing ads on Snapchat.
You can select countries, states, cities, and geographic segments for laser-focused targeting. When putting a specific point on your map, you can place a pin to specific places and target them.
Snapchat allows users to set their radius at 0.1 km from the pinged area. Then you can stay within an extremely targeted area.
It’s possible with Snapchat to use the geofencing system to show stories to the appropriate audience.
What’s the bottom line?
Geofencing marketing is a new way to market your business and engage with customers. Geofenced advertising provides an extremely precise method to create and target audiences by adjusting the targeted shapes for their specific needs or requirements.
Whether you have one location or 100, geofencing can help generate custom programmatic display advertising that gets people in the door. If you’re looking for ways to increase ROI on your marketing budget, there’s no better place than geofencing technology!
Contact us today if you want more information about how our team of experts can help refine your approach so it generates more sales with less effort – we look forward to hearing from you soon!